Unix Systems Programming
Required skills for starting this project
You do not need Mollay's text for this assignment.
- You will need the basic Unix skills: navigating the file system,
manipulating files and file permissions. The
Tutorials and Cheat Sheets will be more than adequate.
- You will need to use a
text editor to write to the file.
- The assignment will involve writing C programs,
C coding. You may want to refresh your memory of the standard
string.h, although the only function from this
library I used was
- You should familiarize yourself with course policies for submission
of assignments: Course policies
Additional useful resources
- You may want to have a look at a tutorial on
make, but you will not need to modify the file
Makefile for this assignment.
- For this first assignment you will be evaluated on the Functionality
of your programming, so you can concentrate on writing code. Future
assignments will evaluate your programs on Design, so you may want
to look at
Style Guides to help you develope code programming style.
- The description of the assignment is
- I have provided a template for your first assignment,
assign1. The first assignment is
already packaged for you with all the files you will need. The
template only requires you fill-in the contents of each file. This is
for your convenience, and you do not need to use the template. See the
README file for further details how to build the program.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)